Sunday, December 3, 2006

They call me ‘names’!!!

Sarah, Divya, Diya, Divi, Divs, DJ- different people call me differently!

Well, as per church records, my name is Divya Sarah John. (They say, the child is officially named at the Baptism ceremony, and the name goes down on record for the first time, then!)

I never liked my first name much, the only reason being it was just too common for an uncommon specimen like me! Throughout my school education, I invariably had one or more classmates by the same name (Divya Nair, Divya Joseph, Divya Bhaskar…the list goes on…) One thing that stood different about my name was the Sarah in the middle, which I hated with a passion! The reason for that was quite irrational- I didn’t like the way people pronounced it! Well, one can’t expect to be called “Ms. John”, when one’s born and reared and educated in an obscure town in God’s own country!

In school, they called me “Divya Sarah”, in all premeditation of possible confusion. I wasn’t happy with that either!! It almost sounded like “Divya Sir” pronounced with formidable Mal accent, and the undue ‘respect’ the sound of it brought made me uncomfortable. I personally find the Mal twang we Malayalees give to whatever we talk in- English or Arabic (the second most popular language in Kerala, for obvious reasons) or Hindi, quite remarkable! It gives us quite an identity!

When I reached college (I did my graduation from Chennai), they started callin’ me Sarah, and most of them pronounced it right, and hence I liked it. But lo, there were too many Sarah’s on campus- Sarah John, Sarah Ninan, Sarah Thomas (this list is also as long as the previous one!) and needless to say, they switched to Divya, soon. I continued to be called Divya on my campus in Mumbai too, where I did my post graduation.

On my arrival to Bangalore on my first job, I decided to religiously put down my feet and reiterate to everyone that I prefer being addressed by my middle name. Look up my company ID card and you’d find my call name as Sarah, and you would not even by mistake call me by my first name!

It is funny how I make sound and fury signifying nothing about things which hardly matter! The other day, to my surprise, I told one of my friends when he immediately corrected himself after callin me Divya, “What’s in a name, afterall?!” That got me thinking why I used to be so particular about what people called me. Was it the sense of power that I felt when I seemed to dictate what others should address me as? Was it just childish adamancy that I should feel pleased, at the end of it all? Nevertheless, I know for a matter of fact that I love it when my father calls me ‘Divya’, or when my mother calls me ‘Divi’ or when my special friend calls me ‘Diya’. That’s because, I know that they feel pleased when they call me what they want! At some vulnerable point, I seemed to realize that that’s what counts at the end of the day…so, u r free to call me names- any of these existing ones or newly coined ones, as long as it makes you happy!

9 Comments:

Blogger Arpita said...

lo! :)
just finished 'namesake' by jhumpa lahiri...i think you mite like it.. all about tryin to fit your name...
keep bloggin
lv

Wednesday, December 27, 2006  
Blogger Sarah said...

Haven't read that book as u rightly guessed:) Shall soon lay ma hands on it. Thanks! :)

Saturday, December 30, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

well i like your blog abt names...i also went through the similar phase and they all called me by different names...and i am still goin through it..and one more thing i would like to point out...its not second name its middle name and sarah is not your maiden name its john..i hope you get this point...if you want to say something to me..plz feel free to email me..bye tc nd hf
email:dollarcreed@gmail.com

Friday, February 16, 2007  
Blogger Sarah said...

@ dollar

Thanks for visitin ma blog! :)
And, thanks for pointin out the 'name' thingy...yes, u r right- maiden name= surname name of a woman before marriage, and im still wonderin where i got 'second name' from! hehe..yes, as u rightly said Sarah is ma middle name! :) Send me the link if u hv a blog. Tks!

Friday, February 16, 2007  
Blogger Maximus said...

impressive :-)

Wednesday, February 21, 2007  
Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks, Robin! :)

Wednesday, February 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never liked my first name much, the only reason being it was just too common for an uncommon specimen like me!
As I read the blog, found you dint liked your name much for reasons at the start but then you ended up compromising.
The real you, as you believe an uncommon specimen, Is that again an compromised thought of yours, where you wish to see yourself someone different??

Really liked the author in you. buona fortuna.!!

Sunday, November 22, 2015  
Blogger Anu said...

Hi Sarah, I'm Anu.we both studied together in school and also later in bishop Moore..Hope you are fine:)

Friday, December 23, 2016  
Blogger Anu said...

Is there a way I can contact you? My mail id is anuamammen@gmail.com..

Friday, December 23, 2016  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home