Thursday, February 8, 2007

The Second Toast!








It was our wedding that day,
The day much yearned for,
The wait was long and tough,
Trust me, moments would grow into eons!
But it was sweetness beyond compare
As the longing was mutual!

Finally, came the day worth our wait,
When our lives would be knotted together!
Relatives and friends thronged our house,
There was jubilee in the air!
Some special friends came too,
And one was Jesus, the Nazarene!

My eyes scanned the vicinity,
To steal a glimpse of my man,
That’s when I caught a streak of panic,
On my father’s pensive face…
And, in a loud whisper, someone alarmed,
“Oh! We ran out of the wine!!!”

Soon, there was chaos unprecedented…
Servants rushed in fretful desperation…
My brother struggled to humor the guests,
As his lips quivered in a nervous smile…
I noticed Mary running to her son,
“How would he help?” I mused in bleakness.

They were filling the jars with water,
I awaited the shame that was yet to strike,
“Are we serving water for wine?”
My heart cried out in silent anguish…
‘Serve it here’ and ‘There too’- distant voices clamored,
Unaware of the empty jars, once full with fine wine!

The jars of water were ready,
And Jesus ordered them to be served,
I shut my eyes refusing to witness,
The disgrace that shadowed my Big Day!
Then, I heard the clatter of a second toast,
“You spared the finest for the last!”

This is the tale of my wedding,
I tell my children and grandchildren,
And oft my li’l ones wonder,
“What did Jesus do to the water?”
“Well, when the Creator looked, the water blushed,
And turned into wine!” I’d remark with a smile.

That was just the beginning of the legend
Of the Miracle Man, who turned my shame to fame!
They killed him, but His miracle sustained,
He rose again on the Third day!
I pressed against the crowd to see Him rise to Heaven;
He looked…and I blushed…“Rabbi, I’d turn into what You want me to be!”

9 Comments:

Blogger rayzeus said...

great turn of the imagination to adopt that infamous incident into something seemingly now and personal.

nice build up of drama. well structured. the play on 'blush' is cute. evidently you like that Nazarene !

Sunday, February 11, 2007  
Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks, rayzeus! :)
And, oh yes! I love the Nazarene!!

Monday, February 12, 2007  
Blogger Jina said...

hehe..:)..when ur words are better than insertions u dont really need em..
n well that post was an instinctive on the spur one..like many of the others are..guess my blog is just for that..for my irrational me..

u got the result na..it will say whether u want html code beneath it..u can copy paste to ur 'add link' in template section...

tel mw whwthr urs i the new blogger or ole blogger..then i will give u the sop..:)

Thursday, February 15, 2007  
Blogger Susan said...

Wow!! That was very creative and awesome! Very well written gal!

Friday, February 16, 2007  
Blogger Sarah said...

Thank u, girlies! :)

Friday, February 16, 2007  
Blogger Krupa said...

very very beautiful..probably one of the best christian (or otherwise contemporary) poems i have read in some time..God bless u divs:) n may u continue to write for His glory!!

Saturday, February 17, 2007  
Blogger Sarah said...

Krups!
One thing i realised off late is that talent is just coincidental...one's availability to be used is what matters! I'm sure u got the message:) Thanks for the encouragement, dear!

Saturday, February 17, 2007  
Blogger Sujith Alex said...

Splendid:)

Monday, November 26, 2007  
Blogger Rini Abraham said...

i LOOOOV it! God bless u..
Rini

Monday, November 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home